Criminal Defense Attorney
What is a felony or misdemeanor offense in Illinois?
As a proven Joliet, Will County criminal defense attorney, JohnPaul Ivec of Ivec Law provides individuals facing criminal charges with superior representation.
Misdemeanors are considered less serious criminal offenses than felonies. A misdemeanor charge will fall into one of the following 3 categories:
- Class A Misdemeanor: These offenses carry can a penalty of less than 1 year in prison. Examples of a Class A misdemeanor include battery, possession of firearms, and DUIs.
- Class B Misdemeanor: These offenses can carry a maximum penalty of 180 days in prison. Examples of a Class B misdemeanor include possession of marijuana (2.5-10 grams) and harassment.
- Class C Misdemeanor: These offenses can carry a maximum penalty of 30 days in prison. Examples of a Class C misdemeanor include assault or possession of marijuana under 2.5 grams.
Illinois felony offenses are grouped into the 5 categories listed below:
- Class 4 Felony: These offenses can carry a maximum penalty of 3 years in prison. Examples of a Class 4 felony include stalking, felony DUI, and aggravated assault.
- Class 3 Felony: These offenses can carry a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison. Examples of a Class 3 felony include aggravated battery and theft of property valued between $300 and $2,000.
- Class 2 Felony: These offenses can carry a maximum penalty of 7 years in prison. Examples of Class 2 felony include arson and theft between $2,000 and $10,000.
- Class 1 Felony: These offenses can carry maximum penalty of 15 years in prison. Examples of a Class 1 felony include criminal sexual assault, possession of illicit drugs including cocaine, LSD or heroin, or theft of property valued between $10,000 and $100,000.
- Class X Felony: The most serious of the felony classes is Class X. These offenses can carry a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison. Examples of a class X felony include aggravated criminal sexual assault.
Are you, a loved one, or a friend facing criminal charges in the Plainfield/Joliet/Bolingbrook area, Will County, or elsewhere in Illinois?
Navigating through the Illinois court system after being accused of a crime can be daunting experience, so it is important to choose a criminal defense attorney who will be your guide and a strong advocate. Here at the Ivec Law firm, JohnPaul Ivec is committed to providing a superior level of legal representation for his clients. He strongly believes in taking the time to consider each case decision, strategy and approach in light of a client’s life, personality, and goals.
Extensive trial and appellate court experience
JohnPaul has extensive experience at the trial and appellate level, with experience from both sides of the courtroom. His insights as a former Joliet, Will County State’s Attorney and clerk with the Illinois State Appellate Public Defenders help him evaluate the strength of the State’s case against you and determine a course of action.
This insight also allows him to handle a wide variety of criminal defense cases, from simple misdemeanor cases to more challenging felony cases, including Class X felonies, which may take more time to resolve. Clients of the Ivec Law firm receive excellent legal representation from a local Joliet criminal defense attorney with more than 19 years of successful practice.
Free Case Evaluation
Let us help you achieve success. Receive a free confidential case evaluation. Email, or call at your convenience.